Adult VolunteeringApply, FAQs, and Volunteering Opportunities
Adult Volunteer Program
SICSA is always looking for talented and passionate individuals to help us support and care for the animals in our care.
If you are interested in volunteering, please complete the Volunteer Application. There are four parts to the application process:
- Filling out the application
- Watching the orientation video
- Passing the orientation post-test
- Signing the Adult Volunteer Waiver
After completing and submitting those items, you must sign up for an onsite tour of SICSA.
Note: Please finish the Volunteer Application process before scheduling a tour.
Join us at SICSA for an informational open house to learn more about our volunteer program and foster program.
Check back for dates and times.
Frequently Asked Questions(FAQs) About Volunteering
We appreciate any time volunteers devote to SICSA! However, we greatly depend on volunteers coming in on a regular basis for dog walking or cat kennel cleaning, as well as various other events. We ask that SICSA volunteers complete at least four hours of service per month. These hours can be split based on volunteer schedule, and we have a convenient, online system that volunteers utilize to sign up for shifts. We ask that volunteers sign up for these shifts ahead of time so that we know who is coming in and can plan schedules accordingly.
Volunteers are considered active provided they have volunteered at least once in the last six months. Volunteers who have been inactive for a year or more will be asked to retake training classes.
Available Positions For Adult Volunteers
To ensure that all dogs are taken on a minimum four walks a day, while socializing and training the dogs using positive reinforcement to increase adoptability.
- Walking dogs from all areas of SICSA's dog kennels.
- Handling the dogs in a safe manner at all times, while adhering to SICSA's procedures and training methods.
- Working with dogs on basic obedience training, while consistently adhering to SICSA’s positive reinforcement guidelines.
- Alerting Animal Care staff members of any medical issues in a timely manner.
- Alerting Adoption staff members of any issues which may affect the dog's adoptability.
- May include some interaction with members of the public (i.e. answering questions about individual dogs, adoption procedure, etc.)
- Must complete Dog 101 instruction.
Responsible for tracking volunteer hours with SICSA's online software, or communicating this information directly to the Volunteer Manager.
Housekeeping & Administrative
To ensure the help with disease management and benefit the animals of SICSA by ensuring there is clean laundry and dishes available at all times.
Must be 18 years of age or older to participate in SICSA’s adult volunteer program.
All laundry/dishes volunteers must complete the SICSA orientation training.
Laundry and Dishes Volunteers report directly to the Volunteer Manager.
- Frequent standing, bending, reaching, kneeling, and walking required.
- Consistent exposure to animal allergens
To access Volgistics from home, please use the link below. Volgistics allows you to manage a multitude of aspects within your account: from signing-up for shifts, entering service hours, managing message preferences to updating your contact details and much more!
Please take a moment and confirm your email account is set to receive our Volgistics emails. To do this, go to your Account tab in Volgistics and review the Message Preferences section.