Lost and Found Pets
What to do if your pet is lost or if you have found a pet:
- If you live in or near Montgomery County, go immediately to the Montgomery County Animal Resource Center and look for your pet.
- Complete SICSA’s online Lost & Found Pet Report at the bottom of this page.
- Post photo and detailed description to SICSA’s Facebook page.
- If a pet is lost, leave an item with your pet’s scent on it outside of your home. Walk or ride a bike around your home to leave a scent trail that your dog or cat may be able to detect.
- Contact other area facilities or your local police department and report your lost pet:
- Kettering: (937) 296-2555 ext. 3266
- Oakwood: (937) 298-2122
- Centerville: (937) 433-7661
- Humane Society of Greater Dayton: (937) 268-7387
- Montgomery County Animal Resource Center: (937) 898-4457
- Post flyers in your neighborhood. Important information to include on the flyer: pet name, photo, breed, gender, color, weight, distinguishing items (red collar, blue eyes), date lost, location/area lost, owner name, and phone number. Remember there can be many interpretations and misunderstandings in the breed, gender, color and weight of pets.
- Call your veterinarian and other local veterinary offices to report the lost pet and/or post a flyer.
- Tell your mail carrier and your neighbors that your pet is lost.
- Record a lost pet message on your voicemail cell and home number.
- Place a Lost/Found ad in your local newspaper’s classified section, such as the Dayton Daily News – (937) 223-1515.
- Post a notice on Craigslist and Petfinder.
- Post to Dayton Ohio and Surrounding Area Lost and Found Pets Facebook page.
When you have found your pet, please notify all resources that your pet has been found. We also recommend getting your dog or cat microchipped at your veterinary office.