Lost and Found Pets
Here are a few suggestions if your pet is lost or if you have found a pet. This is not a complete list but will help get you started in looking for your pet or finding the owner of a pet.
What to do if your pet is lost or if you have found a pet:
1. Contact SICSA’s lost/found pet registry: 937-294-6505 ext. 41 to report a lost or found pet.
- Also post photo and description to SICSA's Facebook page.
2. If a pet is lost, leave an item with your pet’s scent on it outside of your home. Walk or ride a bike around your home to leave a scent trail that your dog or cat may be able to detect.
3. Contact your local police department and report your lost pet:
-Kettering: Contact Judy Kohl (937) 296-2555 extension 3266
-Oakwood: (937) 298-2122 with description of pet
-Centerville: (937) 433-7661 with a description of pet
-Humane Society of Greater Dayton: (937) 268-7387
-Dayton: Montgomery County Animal Resource Center (below)
If you live in or near Montgomery County, go immediately to the Montgomery County Animal Resource Center and look for your pet. Very important to read more here.
4. Call your veterinarian and other local veterinary offices to report the lost pet or post flyer (see flyer info below).
5. Post fliers in your neighborhood. Example of flyer information:
Distinguishing Item (red collar, blue eyes….)
(Remember there can be many interpretations and misunderstandings in the breed, gender, color and weight of pets.)
6. Tell your mail carrier, your neighbors and everyone you know that your pet is lost.
7. Record a lost pet message on your voicemail cell and home number.
8. Place a Lost/Found ad in the Dayton Daily News 937-223-1515 or online.
10. Post to : Facebook page: Dayton Ohio and surrounding area lost and found pets
When you have found your pet, get your dog or cat microchipped at SICSA or your veterinary office. Walk-in microchipping is available during the week for $25. SICSA also microchips dogs and cats during the year at the Walk for Strays, the Dog Wash and other special events. Please call 937-294-6505 for more information.